Edit source in wysiwyg editor

I have…

• Read the following guideline: Troubleshooting and Support | Squidex. I understand that my support request might get deleted if I do not follow the guideline.
  • Used code blocks with ``` to format my code examples like JSON or logs properly.

I’m submitting a…

• Regression (a behavior that stopped working in a new release)
  • Bug report
  • Performance issue
  • Documentation issue or request

Current behavior

On the old wysiwyg editor our content editors used to be able to edit the source in a source code editor, they would click the view source button and then tweak away and add classes etc to the source code. The new wysiwyg editor does not have this, it just has a read only option.

Is there a way that we can still have the rich text editor and for the content editors to still be able to tweak the source code like they used to be able to? They really do not like the “scroll based source code blocks” that are now appearing either.

I know this is ever so difficult to appease the needs of so many people with a wysiwyg editor but the ability to edit the source code is pretty common among these editors

am i missing something or is this option no longer available?

Environment

Docker

App Name: regtransfers-blog

• Self hosted with docker
  • Self hosted with IIS
  • Self hosted with other version
  • Cloud version

Version: 7.15.0

Browser:

• Chrome (desktop)
  • Chrome (Android)
  • Chrome (iOS)
  • Firefox
  • Safari (desktop)
  • Safari (iOS)
  • IE
  • Edge

Hello, the default was changed; hopefully the old editor as described here is still available and works for you.

Hi slaFe,

Yes that works a treat, is there any plans to move forward with a non read only html source editor inside the rich text editor?

Thanks.

No, because in the new editor the HTML is not the source of truth. In the old editor the DOM was manipulated directly (afaik) and therefore all changes were preserved as long as it was not overwritten by something.

But the new editor has an internal syntax tree (AST) and every update basically modifies this tree, which is then rendered. Therefore, if we would allow HTML editing, this HTML would then be parsed and converted back to the AST and everything that cannot be parsed is lost. So this would cause a lot of confusion and is probably not what you want.

But HTML based editors are difficult to work with and hard to change. Therefore the new editor has been introduced.