Unable send email in rules

I want to creare an email rule when the content has published or changed.
I am using an email account that authenticates via smtp but it is not a real mailbox.
From UI the error log is
Failure sending mail.
Error: Failure sending mail.
Elapsed 00:00:00.2630000.

The system error log is:
“log”: “{“logLevel”:“Warning”,“action”:“SendRuleEvent”,“status”:“Failed”,“ruleId”:“24e7e6de-869b-4d0c-b6f4-445ba04b544f”,“ruleDescription”:“Send an email to fpisu@sardegnait.it”,“dump”:“Failure sending mail.\n\nError: Failure sending mail.\n\nElapsed 00:00:00.2470000.\n”,“app”:{“name”:“Squidex”,“version”:“4.0.0.0”,“sessionId”:“9f930b1e-ada5-48f0-beab-43240d489f3e”},“timestamp”:“2020-12-22T10:08:42Z”,“exception”:{“type”:“System.Net.Mail.SmtpException”,“message”:“Failure sending mail.”,“stackTrace”:” at Squidex.Extensions.Actions.Email.EmailActionHandler.ExecuteJobAsync(EmailJob job, CancellationToken ct) in /src/extensions/Squidex.Extensions/Actions/Email/EmailActionHandler.cs:line 61\n at Squidex.Domain.Apps.Core.HandleRules.RuleActionHandler\u00602.Squidex.Domain.Apps.Core.HandleRules.IRuleActionHandler.ExecuteJobAsync(Object data, CancellationToken ct) in /src/src/Squidex.Domain.Apps.Core.Operations/HandleRules/RuleActionHandler.cs:line 71\n at Squidex.Infrastructure.Tasks.TaskExtensions.WithCancellation[T](Task\u00601 task, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /src/src/Squidex.Infrastructure/Tasks/TaskExtensions.cs:line 99\n at Squidex.Domain.Apps.Core.HandleRules.RuleService.InvokeAsync(String actionName, String job) in /src/src/Squidex.Domain.Apps.Core.Operations/HandleRules/RuleService.cs:line 279"}}\r\n",

Must the emailbox be “real” to use rule?

Thank a lot,
Federica

Environment

• [ X] Self hosted with docker
  • [ ] Self hosted with IIS
  • [ ] Self hosted with other version
  • [ ] Cloud version

Version: [VERSION]
master branch

Browser:

• [ X] Chrome (desktop)
  • [ ] Chrome (Android)
  • [ ] Chrome (iOS)
  • [ ] Firefox
  • [ ] Safari (desktop)
  • [ ] Safari (iOS)
  • [ ] IE
  • [ ] Edge

Others:

I think the sender must not be real, but it depends on your smtp server.

BTW: Please use code blocks to format logs.

The account authenticates on smtp.
I’ll try with a real box

I tried with a real mailbox but the error is the same.

It is an SmtpException, it is very likely that something is wrong in the communication with your server.

I have migrated the code to MailKit, as SmtpClient is deprecated anyway. Perhaps this library provides better exceptions.