Squidex response 521

The last couple of weeks and especially today we are having issues with reaching squidex service, the CDN responds with 521, see below:

This is affecting our production applications.
The issues do not seem to be reported here https://status.squidex.io/
Error seems to be intermittent however it usually lasts for about 10-15 minutes and can be replicated across different regions (and can be replicated locally - see screenshot, FYI the url is https://cloud.squidex.io/)

I have…

• [ ] Checked the logs and have uploaded a log file and provided a link because I found something suspicious there. Please do not post the log file in the topic because very often something important is missing.

I’m submitting a…

• [ ] Regression (a behavior that stopped working in a new release)
  • [ ] Bug report
  • [x] Performance issue
  • [ ] Documentation issue or request

Current behavior

Expected behavior

Minimal reproduction of the problem

Environment

• [ ] Self hosted with docker
  • [ ] Self hosted with IIS
  • [ ] Self hosted with other version
  • [x] Cloud version

Version: [VERSION]

Browser:

• [ ] Chrome (desktop)
  • [ ] Chrome (Android)
  • [ ] Chrome (iOS)
  • [ ] Firefox
  • [ ] Safari (desktop)
  • [ ] Safari (iOS)
  • [ ] IE
  • [ ] Edge

Others:

2 Likes

sorry for posting here but i am no longer able to post new topic in the Maintenance cateogry

I have a reported incident for about 1 minute between 11:25 and 11:26 UTC but I cannot reproduce it at the moment.

Hi,

We had reported intermittent problems across our application from 8:53 until 11:23.

Screenshot taken at 11:01 from our CI

I believe you but I cannot reproduce it yet and do not see it in the logs. What I see is the problem I mentioned.

And of course the dropdown in performance:

I am adding more metrics to investigate that.

We are also improving our Sentry logging. Is there anything we should include when Squidex throws an error that will help you trace your side? We intend to log graphql queries and the response returned should an error be thrown

No, I don’t think so.

What exactly does it mean that you do not see it in the logs?
You do not have the metrics for DB and external services response times?
Memory/CPU usage for internal infrastructure?

This does not look like memory deallocation or tree-shaking problem if this is not on a single application server.

Look at network changes that occurred on your infrastructure.
Maybe the cloud/servers provider made some changes that caused DB/API services to be no longer available.

Networking issues are hard to debug :smiley:

I have an up time check in Google cloud that monitors Squidex cloud from four locations and except the short issue it does not report anything. This correlates with the internal logs from the application (first screenshot).

I can also reach Squidex just fine.

However I see some downgrade in performance but not exactly where it is coming from.

Btw:

Does this work

Hi @Sebastian,

The issue is no longer happening for our application and these pages work. I do wonder if while your backend responds perhaps there is a proxy layer above it times out and thus sends no response which gives us the error on cloudflare. I briefly looked at cloudflare timeouts and found them to be quite long.

I would like to suggest an enhancement for errors. I don’t think Squidex should ever be returning an HTML Cloudflare page when there is a problem with the API. Rather a message within your own infrastructure in all cases (so that they can be logged)

Good point, cloudflare should not return HTML. The timeout issues are recorded though in the logs, because the request is aborted by cloudflare and then tracked.

It also be good to track all errors (even valid ones). I have used to use things like https://www.stathat.com/ to alert us if there was a sudden spike in requests resulting in an error. Sometimes its a rouge import script or some hacker trying a bunch of things but its also helped detect allot more insidious smaller scale issues.

Will you look at the error enhancement? How can track the status of this issue?

Yes, but not today. We can track it here.

2 Likes

I have turned off always online feature.

ok, what does that mean?

Can you see the 520 & 521 errors we reported in the cloudflare logs?

The always online feature serves a cached version of the page, which does not make sense anyway and should bettet bubble up the 521 to the client. Perhaps I can test that with a demo project very early next year.

But I am not aware that there are any logs in cloudflare, have to test that. Internally squidex uses Google Stackdriver, error reporting and monitoring, but I can not expose that. To be honest I am not 100% sure what your expectations are.