Nested component fields not visible in contents view in cloud

I have…

  • Checked the logs and have uploaded a log file and provided a link because I found something suspicious there. Please do not post the log file in the topic because very often something important is missing.

I’m submitting a…

  • Regression (a behavior that stopped working in a new release)
  • Bug report
  • Performance issue
  • Documentation issue or request

Current behavior

In Cloud solution, I have created the following stgructure of schemas and components:

Component - Dictionary

  • String field
  • Boolean field

Component - Data Index

  • String field
  • Component field → schemas: Dictionary

Schema - Data options

  • Components field → schemas: Data Index

Basically, one component has a field of the second component type and the schema has a field of the first component type array.

In this case, in the content view of the Schema, I see all the first component fields except that the nested 2nd component is shown only as a title, and no nested field is displayed. This is a regression because previously I was able to see the fields and fill in the data. When I get the schema contents with the API I can see that the fields of Component 2 have values.

Here is how all that is displayed now before and after clicking on the Add Component button for the Dictionary type field:

Before clicking:
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 18.19.02

After clicking:
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 18.19.24

Expected behavior

The fields of a nested component type should be visible in the UI and editable.

Minimal reproduction of the problem


  • Self hosted with docker
  • Self hosted with IIS
  • Self hosted with other version
  • Cloud version

Version: [VERSION]


  • Chrome (desktop)
  • Chrome (Android)
  • Chrome (iOS)
  • Firefox
  • Safari (desktop)
  • Safari (iOS)
  • IE
  • Edge


I tried to reproduce it locally and it seems to work fine. Do you have this problem with new content items or existing content items or both?

What happens when you click on the Add Component button of the dictionary? that’s when it’s breaking.
It happens on both new and existing content items.

Then it gets nested a few times.

Okay, after doing some testing I found that the problem occurs when there is a field rule associated to the dictionary field. In my case I have a rule like this:

  "action": "Hide",
  "field": "dictionary",
  "condition": "itemData.type !== \"simple\""

So the nested field should be hidden depending on one other field. When it matchis the case of non visibility, nothing is shown for Dictionary. But when the field should be shown it only shows the title “Dictionary” with no fields (see screenshot).

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 14.39.53

When there is no field rule, everything is fine.

I think the rule is just wrong. But I have to dig into that.