[IMPLEMENTED] Schemes UI - collapsible

Hello,

i have proposal / feedback about schemes.

Make “UI separator” collapsible also during creating/editing scheme if scheme have more than few items it would help lot.

I used to propose this here with some concept sketch but as it was just comment I try to refresh it as a feature request.

Original post: [IMPLEMENTED] Design modernization

Reupload post (with “quick” preview from that older version).

Hi,

it makes sense, but I think I am not going to implement it like this.

Using fields for separators was always a weird idea and there is this other task to support tabs. If I will start with that I will have a look how to provide a better solution for sections.

Thanks for consideration, i do not think that current ui separator as field is that bad a solution as it is part of the scheme and is intuitive enough. At least for me.

Tabs seem like a complex feature. Also, I’m not sure if it actually brings that much benefit for scheme design part as this is what is currently actually hard to manage.

Quick research from other cms:

Hygraph (graphcms) seem to not have any separators.

Strapi also do not have “collapsible” block during scheme defining. But they use concept of “Component” which is basically “wrap” for few fields (component in squidex are their “blocks”).

Anyway, their separation of that “ui separator” or component how they call it seems to be a better solution. Same scheme will be clear in squidex.

note: Icon in colorful box seems like nice improvement too.

Prepr

it is similar to what squidex have currently as it basically uses field.

contentful

It looks like they do not have anything as separator

Good to know. It is difficult from a technical point of view. You have fields that are not real fields.They are not part of GraphQL or OpenAPI scheme and so on. So a lot of special casing just for that.

That’s true, but it would a bigger refactoring and I thought it would make sense to solve it in one goal.

The “problem” or annoying part is that you have a flat list of fields, which you want to transform to a nested list of objects.

Good to know. It is difficult from a technical point of view. You have fields that are not real fields.They are not part of GraphQL or OpenAPI scheme and so on. So a lot of special casing just for that.

That sucks from a maintaining point of view but on the other hand it is really easy to work compared to most/all competition so i do not think it have to be rewritten completely (of course if maintaining is manageable). Also, the new tabs feature is most likely to introduce new code which has to be maintaned too.

That’s true, but it would a bigger refactoring and I thought it would make sense to solve it in one goal.

The “problem” or annoying part is that you have a flat list of fields, which you want to transform to a nested list of objects.

Also, as separator are already there with introduction of tabs then there will be 2 similar concepts basically. And if it is on my a would stay with separators/ui block as improving that feature should provide most value / dev time.

Is this what you are looking for?

2 Likes

That looks great! Is it already available as docker/cloud for testing?

Soon. I will update you.

Fixed in dev-7334 (sorry, I had a problem with CI and some flaky tests)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.