Error creating backup

I have…

• [ X] Checked the logs and have uploaded a log file and provided a link because I found something suspicious there. Please do not post the log file in the topic because very often something important is missing.

I’m submitting a…

• [ ] Regression (a behavior that stopped working in a new release)
  • [ X] Bug report
  • [ ] Performance issue
  • [ ] Documentation issue or request

Minimal reproduction of the problem

Hi Sebastian,

We are trying to create a backup but we’re getting this error. Do you know what could it be?

The exception says:

`There is no type for name 'AppSettingsUpdatedEvent`

The error trace:

at Squidex.Infrastructure.Reflection.TypeNameRegistry.GetType(String name) in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Infrastructure\Reflection\TypeNameRegistry.cs:line 160 at Squidex.Infrastructure.EventSourcing.DefaultEventDataFormatter.Parse(StoredEvent storedEvent) in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Infrastructure\EventSourcing\DefaultEventDataFormatter.cs:line 49 at Squidex.Domain.Apps.Entities.Backup.BackupGrain.<>c__DisplayClass18_2.<<ProcessAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext() in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Domain.Apps.Entities\Backup\BackupGrain.cs:line 149 at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squidex.Infrastructure.EventSourcing.MongoEventStore.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.<<QueryAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext() in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb\EventSourcing\MongoEventStore_Reader.cs:line 128 at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb.MongoExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass14_21.<b__0>d.MoveNext() in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb\MongoDb\MongoExtensions.cs:line 195
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb.MongoExtensions.d__141.MoveNext() in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb\MongoDb\MongoExtensions.cs:line 222 at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb.MongoExtensions.<ForEachPipedAsync>d__131.MoveNext() in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb\MongoDb\MongoExtensions.cs:line 180
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Squidex.Infrastructure.EventSourcing.MongoEventStore.d__23.MoveNext() in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Infrastructure.MongoDb\EventSourcing\MongoEventStore_Reader.cs:line 124
at Squidex.Domain.Apps.Entities.Backup.BackupGrain.d__18.MoveNext() in C:\git\SquidexCMS\backend\src\Squidex.Domain.Apps.Entities\Backup\BackupGrain.cs:line 147`

Environment

• [X ] Self hosted with docker
  • [ ] Self hosted with IIS
  • [ ] Self hosted with other version
  • [ ] Cloud version

Version: [5.5]

Browser:

• [X ] Chrome (desktop)
  • [ ] Chrome (Android)
  • [ ] Chrome (iOS)
  • [ ] Firefox
  • [ ] Safari (desktop)
  • [ ] Safari (iOS)
  • [ ] IE
  • [ ] Edge

Sounds like you downgraded your version.

Longer answer:

Squidex creates and stores events for everything that happens in the system. These events are then written to the backup, so that when a backup is restored the new or restored app also contains the history for content items.

The type name of the event is also written in the database and the exception basically says that the event type is not known: AppSettingsUpdatedEvent

But event types are never deleted to be backwards compatible: https://github.com/Squidex/squidex/tree/master/backend/src/Migrations/OldEvents

when such an old event is read it will be migrated to the new version:

So the fact that the event type is not known you means that you have downgraded your version.

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

I was thinking about it and I guess this topic I created a few days ago is related to the downgrade… Trigger rule after content scheduled publication These days I’ll upgrade our project to the latest version and I’ll let you know if these issues are fixed.

Thanks again,

Mer