[SOLVED] 500 error when getting /apps

I have…

• [ x ] Checked the logs and have uploaded a log file and provided a link because I found something suspicious there. Please do not post the log file in the topic because very often something important is missing.

I’m submitting a…

• [ ] Regression (a behavior that stopped working in a new release)
  • [x ] Bug report
  • [ ] Performance issue
  • [ ] Documentation issue or request

Current behavior

This morning when I opended squidex, I got a 500 error when tried to access the /apps endpoint
There has been 0 activity over the weekend, and was working fine when I left work friday.

Expected behavior

Able to get the /apps endpoint - I have the logs this time from the app-service - I’ll PM them if requested

Minimal reproduction of the problem

I think it’s quite hard to reproduce - I’ve done nothing extra ordinary lately to the system…

Environment

• [ x ] Self hosted with docker
  • [ ] Self hosted with IIS
  • [ ] Self hosted with other version
  • [ ] Cloud version

Version: 5.0.0

Browser:

• [ x ] Chrome (desktop)
  • [ ] Chrome (Android)
  • [ ] Chrome (iOS)
  • [ ] Firefox
  • [ ] Safari (desktop)
  • [ ] Safari (iOS)
  • [ ] IE
  • [ ] Edge

Others:

I updated the container image to 5.2.0 and restarted the app-service, and was able to fetch the /apps endpoint now, and get to the squidex dashboard/overview

I tend to get a lot of these time-out exceptions:

[…] Response did not arrive on time in 00:00:30 for message: NewPlacement Request S127.0.0.1:11111:341397831*cli/ […]

where the endpoint is:

“requestPath”: “/apps/app-name-here/ui/settings/me”,

What happens when you restart your container? Btw: I always ask for the logs :frowning:

https://pastebin.com/KKCR4P6F - This is what I could gather in the app-service

After I restarted the container/app-service (and in this case updated the docker image to 5.2.0) - it’s working again

Okay, there is not that much I can do about it, right now…

I’m still getting this error from time to time. I haven’t added any new apps since the last error I got. This morning we got the same error again where we couldn’t query the /apps endpoint

We can still query the content though. Do you have the slightest idea on how to improve this? It’s hosted on Azure if you need to know

If I restart the webapp, it then again works

I have never seen it, it could be someting like a sleep mode which causes the app not to wake up properly.

Thanks for getting back.
We already have this option enabled on our app:

Any other suggestions?

I think this setting could make it even worse. In IIS this prevents the web server from shutting down your application if there are no requests.

But there is also a sleep mode or so on the machine level. But it should not happen. You have only one node, right?

Oh. Should I try to disable it?

Yes, only one node. Hosted as a container webapp on Azure, and a mongodb container instance hooked up to it.

Current version is 5.2.0.

I am not 100% sure what happens. I have posted it in Github: https://github.com/dotnet/orleans/issues/6820

You can try a monitoring service and just query your service every 5 minutes or so to keep it alive. Just an idea.

That’s great! Just ping me on github if I need to answer or provide anything!

Funny that you mention it, I’ve already set up such a service. :slight_smile:

Let’s see how this goes for now. Thanks a lot for the service!

1 Like

Hi again!

Since last, I’ve set up a uptime robot that pings both the mongodb container instance, and the Squidex web-app every minute.

This morning I noticed that a ping on the mongodb port was timed out. So the container instance was unresponsive for maximum of 1 min - Properly less, since the next ping was OK.

Then I checked the Squidex app - It throws the same 500 error as I have previously reported in this thread.
So I guess it has something to do with the db connection. I don’t know which call that causes Squidex to go into a failed state - but if the request fails, I have to restart the Squidex app so I can use the squidex app again. The good thing is that all the content is still query-able.

I checked the logs for the mongodb container instance, and I couldn’t see anything that stood out.

So, a feature request for me is; Could you make some kind of retry policy for these requests that fails, so it does not goes into a failed state if a request fails? I do not have enough insight in Squidex to say, if it is Orleans or Squidex that should be pathed for this - Either way, it will improve the system to have this feature I think :slight_smile:

In the meantime I think I will migrate the mongodb instance to another cloud provider. I do not have the time to investigate further why the mongodb becomes unresponsive at random times. :smile:

:: Update - I didn’t restart the web app right away. I tried to clear localstorage, and was able to access the /app endpoint after the login attempt. Strange…

Sure, I could do that, but I would also think about a liveness probe in your case. This would solve the problem I guess.

So a liveness prope as part of the mongodb container instance?

No, it should observe squidex and then it will just restart it.

Just an update if anybody else experience this strange error.

I migrated the mongoDB instance to a vm on Google Cloud (e2-medium (2 vCPUs, 4 GB memory)), and this seemed to have fixed the problems we’re having.

The previous deployment was a 2gig container instance on Azure. MongoDB is pretty memory hungry, so I just decided to scale up to 4gig.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.