Data Migration from Squidex Cloud to GCP Server

We are currently using Squidex Cloud for our content management needs, but we are planning to migrate our data to our Google Cloud Platform (GCP) server. The installation process for Squidex on GCP seems clear, but we have a few questions regarding the migration:

1. Data Export: What is the recommended process for exporting all our content, schemas, and assets from the cloud environment?
  2. Data Import: Once exported, how should we import the data into our Squidex instance on GCP? Are there any specific configurations or tools we should be aware of?
  3. Content Size Evaluation: Could you please advise on how we can evaluate the size of our current content in Squidex Cloud? We would like to understand the total storage footprint to better plan our migration.

Any documentation, tools, or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

You can just create a backup in your app. The backup is just a zip file, you can extract it to get an understanding of the data size. If you exclude the assets, it is probably very, very small.

Alternatively you could also use the CLI and the sync tools: Automation Tools (CLI) | Squidex

The advantage of the sync tool is that you can do a partial sync, e.g. you could still make updates in Squidex Cloud and then apply them.

I’ve tried using the Squidex CLI automation tools but encountered an issue. Here is the link to open a ticket.

Any other suggestions regarding project migration would be appreciated. Thank you, again, for your time and assistance.

Hey, I didn’t want to open a new issue, so I’ll mention it here. The CLI tool works great overall, but I’m encountering one issue. For some assets, the sync in a new project fails with a 413 status, and the response doesn’t clarify the cause.

Response:
Uploading assets/files/1d46f42e-e5f5-...failed: Could not deserialize the response body stream as Squidex.ClientLibrary.ErrorDto.

Steps to reproduce

Export data:

1. ./sq config add [APP_NAME] [CLIENT_ID] [CLIENT_SECRET]
  2. ./sq config use [APP_NAME]
  3. ./sq sync out [FOLDER]

Import data:

1. ./sq config add [APP_NAME] [CLIENT_ID] [CLIENT_SECRET] -u [URL]
  2. ./sq config use [APP_NAME]
  3. ./sq sync in [FOLDER]

413 means that the array is too large. You have to increase the allowed asset size in your settings:

1 Like